Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Devil- Albright's House- Malibu Hills

"It was a simple ranch-style house, not large. There were no outside lights except on the front porch so I couldn't make out the color. I wanted to know what color the house was. I wanted to know what made jets fly and how long sharks lived. There was a lot I wanted to know before I died."(244)

It is ironic that Easy fears for his life here, in a peaceful beach community. Although Malibu had the reputation for housing upstanding people, its dark seclusion sets the stage for violence and murder. This was seen also in The Postman Always Rings Twice.
The setting is depicted as being so gloomy that Easy is unable to determine the color of the house even though he strains to. This is mirrored by his struggle to interpret Daphne whose ambiguity also involves color.

No comments: